The Overlook




12 x 12 inches (30.5 x 30.5 cm), oil on panel

In Walt Bartman's class we assembled at an overlook above Great Falls, Virginia, where I did this piece to add to my collection of unfinished paintings. There is way too much purple in it but I often like to start out with some wacky color anticipating that this initial take will mostly be covered over with more naturalistic hues. Why I feel this is worth doing is that in the final painting the remnants of the purple, pink, orange or whatever the wacky color is, will set off a visual vibration when played against the natural colors on top. This is an exciting spot where you stand in a dark, sheltered, fort-like, rock outcropping and look out into a bright expanse. So the attempt is to bring some of that excitement into the painting.

Comments

Diane Hoeptner said…
I like the purple undertones very much and I don't think it's "too much." Heh, undertones and underpainting is an issue I too am dealing with!! Glad to discover your blog.

Popular Posts