The Overlook



12 x 12 inches (30.5 x 30.5 cm), oil on panel

My main object with this session was to darken the foreground to emphasize the bright, opening-out of the scene beyond the railing. I think this effort to create spatial depth would have been more effective if the distant scene, the river and the line of trees on the horizon, were lighter and less contrasty. The spatial leap from the foreground scene with the figure and large boulders, to the scene beyond the railing, is not quite big enough.

Comments

In the earlier version of the painting, the figure seemed in scale with the boulders. When you darkened the foreground, you completely succeeded in creating the depth, pushing the falls away from the railing... but the figure now strikes me as too tall. I think if he's close in value to the distant falls, he might be smaller. I wondered where you were painting today -- I was up above the falls and glad no one saw me when I smeared yellow paint all over my face.
George Carr said…
I did notice that the figure was better in the earlier incarnation of the painting. The figure is actually a classmate who didn't show up today, so that's my excuse. How did you know you had paint on your face, I wonder? Both Walt and Larry were horribly self-daubed today but seemed blissfully unaware...

Popular Posts