Top 10 Paintings from My Show



During my show about ten days ago I passed out to visitors a sheet with thumbnail images of all the paintings and with a small graphic beside each allowing them to easily rank the painting on a scale of 1 to 10, according to which paintings they would be likeliest to buy. This gave me some feedback about what kind of thing people like in my paintings, more than would I get from looking at which paintings ultimately sold (eleven out of forty-two sold).

Even though I have not finished the ranking, a number of preferences have emerged which will influence my future work. People prefer:

Larger-size paintings
Clothed figures over landscapes
Landscapes over still life

Folks seem not to want nude figures for their homes, and in fact even though the largest paintings in the collection were top-ranked, the exception was one large nude. Some people really liked the still life paintings but the score was brought down by those who did not like them at all. There was more consistency amongst the landscapes, with most people agreeing that they liked the best among them. I was shocked that my self portrait came in first, especially since I almost did not include it in the show, thinking it unlikely to sell (which indeed it did not).

This was an interesting exercise. Without doing this survey, but looking only at sales, I never would have known that people liked my large paintings. The larger paintings were more expensive, and that is why they went unsold.

Comments

boneman said…
I have no idea how you have 'grades' by them.
I can weigh in on a personal accounting, as an artist, if that's permissible.
I prefer 6 over three...because I have blue eyes.
I have been chastised often for too brilliant of a color, and so stay to the quieter toned painting.
#8 & 10 I do often...(my own bridges and buildings, mind you) and still find it a challenge in balance.
In fact, the bridges I do, on occasion, are monotone (sort'a)...(OK, I use wall paint..an interesting medium, to be sure..like cheap gauche)...
I've done #9 so many times (as a volunteer piece for Stopover) and right now I'm working on a # 5, only with the closest trees farther away.
So, 6, 8, 10, 5, 4, 2, 7, 3, 9,...
And as I have done self portraits, and asked folks who it is, and they don't know, pretty much says that I'm not capable of judging ANY self portraits.
On the other hand, I have a wart...
no...
I have been taking a stab at political figures, the aim to caricature them enough to scramble up some income...
Dang.
Sometimes I feel like a prostitute.
But then, I'm a hungry prostitute.
Great idea to do a survey, George. Numbers 1 and 3 are my favourites. The self-portrait is brilliantly dramatic with an excellent use of light and shadow - I imagine that's why people like it so much. It's very unique and has some drama about it. Would it be more likely to sell if it weren't advertised as a self-portrait? Perhaps if you gave it a more universal title to which viewers might be able to relate?

And it's the flash of blue in number 3 that gets me, I remember when you first posted it online. It grabbed my attention and hasn't let go since...

Congrats on the sales!
George Carr said…
Thanks for the additional feedback, Caroline and boneman. The survey prompted other visitors to comment informally to me about the paintings, as you have done. One woman artist sat down with me and gave a very cogent analysis of the show with suggestions for improvements and directions to take. Great stuff, and without my reaching out with the survey you all might have kept mum!

Popular Posts