Girl or Boy?



Back in the nineties I did a statue involving four figures, each representing a girl or woman at different times of her life. Some viewers gave me grief about the youngest figure because they said the baby girl looked like a baby boy. This made me mad, especially when I had to admit to myself that they were kinda right.
I was reminded of this recently by a post in my niece's blog, where she talks about her baby girl being mistaken for a baby boy, and reports on the science of people's ability to determine gender in babies. Well, I feel somewhat vindicated since the upshot was that people are NOT able accurately to determine a baby's gender- so how dare they pass judgement on my little bronze babe!
That said, if a majority of folks looking at the statue think the baby is a boy, clearly I have not done my job very well. Maybe I should go back and weld some ribbons and bows to her head.

Comments

RS said…
Oh geez, please no ribbons! I'm not sure if I ever told you about this, but I was feeling rather intimidated when I went to that esteemed institution for an interview--but then I passed by your statue in the atrium, and somehow it plucked my courage right up. I kept wanting to pull aside the scurrying medical professionals and point and say "MY UNCLE DID THAT!"
George Carr said…
Glad to provide bragging fodder to a delightful, intelligent, most boastworthy niece!

Popular Posts