House Siblings II, in progress





Oil on canvas, 24 x 24 inches (61 x 61 cm)

For the past couple of weeks we have had some help manning the gallery while my show is up. Randy Hadley has spent most of his life working in art galleries and even had his own gallery for a while. As we have bided our time in the gallery waiting for customers, we have talked about painting and Randy's passionate interest in, and knowledge of, painting has come out loud and clear. Now I find that these talks are influencing how I paint, allowing me to work in a more aggressive, exploratory way that will perhaps bring more excitement to my paintings. Compare yesterday's painting (above) to one of the same subject from a few years ago (below).



Oil on board, 9 x 9 inches (23 x 23 cm)

Comments

Gabrianna said…
Wow, you can really see the improvement.

I really like it. Especially the shadows underneath the trees. The only thing I was a bit iffy about is the tree in the fore ground. I like the base of it, but as it goes up and brances out it still seems a little awkward to me. But it's still a gorgeous painting.
George Carr said…
I agree about the tree, and I promise to do further work on it, especially the upper part. At this point I am focused on implying sufficient massiveness in the trunk to counterbalance the large cantilevered branch arching out over the entire top of the painting.
Thanks for your comments!

Popular Posts